×

Museum of Applied Arts

The Moravian Museum of Applied Arts established in 1873 was among the oldest of its kind in Austria-Hungary. A new, modern building was constructed in Husova Street in 1880–1883. The Wiener Werkstätte had their first official exhibition there in 1904. The Moravian Museum of Applied Arts was then a major culture hub in Brno and, apart from Josef Hoffmann, it was often visited by his fellow students from the German Technical College, Brno such as Adolf Loos and Leopold Bauer who went on to shape modern European architecture.

When the Moravian Gallery in Brno came into existence in 1961, the Museum of Applied Arts became part of it. The museum building underwent an extensive reconstruction in 1999-2001, and upon its completion it was opened to the public with a permanent exhibition of applied arts and design presenting the highlights of the MG collections. In 2012 the exhibition was expanded by the “Set Table. Josef Hoffmann and the Wiener Werkstätte” section in the Josef Hoffmann Room devoted to the art of European modernism. The permanent exhibition is regularly supplemented with short-term shows focused on design, photography and the like. Every other year the museum plays host to the International Biennial of Graphic Design.

Museum of Applied Arts © Jan Cága, archiv MZM
Museum of Applied Arts © Jan Cága, archiv MZM
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG
Museum of Applied Arts © Archiv MG