49°12'25.81"N; 16°36'57.81"E

    Villa Tugendhat

    Museum der Stadt Brno

    The villa of Grete and Fritz Tugendhat was designed by German architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in 1928–1929.

    Více >
    ×
    Museum of Applied Arts

    Museum of Applied Arts

    The Moravian Museum of Applied Arts established in 1873 was among the oldest of its kind in Austria-Hungary. A new, modern building was constructed in Husova Street in 1880–1883. The Wiener Werkstätte had their first official exhibition there in 1904. The Moravian Museum of Applied Arts was then a major culture hub in Brno and, apart from Josef Hoffmann, it was often visited by his fellow students from the German Technical College, Brno such as Adolf Loos and Leopold Bauer who went on to shape modern European architecture.

    When the Moravian Gallery in Brno came into existence in 1961, the Museum of Applied Arts became part of it. The museum building underwent an extensive reconstruction in 1999-2001, and upon its completion it was opened to the public with a permanent exhibition of applied arts and design presenting the highlights of the MG collections. In 2012 the exhibition was expanded by the “Set Table. Josef Hoffmann and the Wiener Werkstätte” section in the Josef Hoffmann Room devoted to the art of European modernism. The permanent exhibition is regularly supplemented with short-term shows focused on design, photography and the like. Every other year the museum plays host to the International Biennial of Graphic Design.

    49°11'39.7"N; 16°36'17.41"E
    Jurkovič House

    Jurkovič House

    The house of Dušan Jurkovič (1868–1947) in Brno-Žabovřesky is one of the most important architectural monuments of the late 19th and the early 20th century in Brno. The building, inspired by British and Viennese modernism and supplemented with elements of folk art, presents a special feature of the cultural route, a splendid example of modern architecture. When its construction was completed in 1906, the architect opened the house with an Exhibition of Architecture and Applied Arts. Jurkovič approached the exhibition as a presentation of a template for modern housing and interior design. The architect lived in the house with his family until 1919 when he left for Slovakia.

    The house was purchased by the state in 2006 and has been since then administered by the Moravian Gallery in Brno. It was opened to the public in 2011 after a major reconstruction. The former drawing room, bedroom and

    children’s room on the ground floor and the studio and study on the first floor have been converted into exhibition rooms hosting the Dušan Jurkovič. The Architect and his House permanent exhibition and short-term shows focused on design and architecture. Visitors to the Jurkovič House can also make use of a research centre with selected literature and further materials devoted to the architect and his work.

     

    49°12'23.63"N; 16°34'33.79"E
    Leoš Janáček Memorial House

    Leoš Janáček Memorial House

    The house of composer Leoš Janáček (1854–1928) and the complex of the former organ school on the corner of Kounicova and Smetanova streets in Brno is, apart from the Augustinian abbey, the most important place in Brno connected with life and work of the famous musician. Although Janáček was born in Hukvaldy, he came to Brno aged eleven and spent there his entire life.

    Janáček moved in his new house in 1910, and it was here that he produced his best-known work. After the premiere of the Jenůfa opera in the National Theatre, Prague in 1916 Janáček, at the age of 62, finally received recognition, both in his homeland and outside its borders. The garden house and the adjacent school witnessed the birth of Janáček’s most famous compositions that kept abreast of young avant-garde composers of the 1920s.

    Visitors to the Leoš Janáček Memorial House can see his study with original furnishings and the composer’s piano, a rare instrument that accompanied most of his creative years. The ground floor of the former organ school houses the Janáček archive with the composer’s autographs, the Janáček library and correspondence, as well as documents related to the history of the school.

    49°12'5.66"N; 16°36'8.35"E
    Villa Tugendhat

    Villa Tugendhat

    The villa of Grete and Fritz Tugendhat was designed by German architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in 1928–1929. The plot in the Černá Pole quarter was originally part of the Löw-Beer villa of Grete’s parents, and Villa Tugendhat was built in the upper section of its large garden.

    Villa Tugendhat is a work of art unique in its construction, layout, interiors, technical facilities and setting. The Tugendhats moved in in December 1930, and only spent eight years there. The house was confiscated by the Gestapo in early October 1939 and in January 1942 became German property.

    The first restoration and reconstruction of the house took place in 1981–1985. In 1994 the villa was opened to the public, and has been since then administered by the Brno City Museum. In August 1995 Villa Tugendhat became a National Cultural Monument and in December 2001 was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site. The second phase in the heritage restoration was carried out in 2010–2012 and was aimed at the preservation of the original state of the house, when the Tugendhat family lived there.

    Villa Tugendhat is a unique example of modern international architecture, and apart from guided tours for the public it now plays host to concerts of classical music, film projections and further cultural events.

    49°12'25.81"N; 16°36'57.81"E
    - - - - -
    Visitor rating 100%
    Josef Hoffmann Birthplace

    Josef Hoffmann Birthplace

    The Josef Hoffmann Birthplace in Brtnice holds the work of one of the leading architects and designers of the first half of the 20th century. Josef Hoffmann (1870–1956) viewed his native house as the place of his fondest memories, a place where he would regularly return. In 1907 he had the house reconstructed and decorated its interiors with colourful ornaments that also adorned the walls of the Wiener Werkstätte salesroom in Vienna.

    The rooms combined Wiener Werkstätte furniture with some old pieces inherited from Hoffmann’s parents and provided with new upholstery using WW fabrics.

    The house now features the “Josef Hoffmann: Inspirations” permanent exhibition, and every year there is a show presenting the work of an internationally renowned architect, designer or artist (e.g. Adolf Loos, Donald Judd, Stanislav Kolíbal, Friedrich Kiesler).

    The Josef Hoffmann Birthplace in Brtnice is a joint centre of the Moravian Gallery in Brno and the MAK Austrian Museum for Applied Arts / Contemporary Art, Vienna.

    49°18'14.52"N; 15°40'44.33"E
    Gustav Mahler's House

    Gustav Mahler's House

    Gustav Mahler (1860–1911), one of the world’s most famous composers and conductors, lived in today’s Gustav Mahler House until 1875 when he left for Vienna to study at the music academy. A memorial plaque marking Mahler’s 100th birthday anniversary was installed on the house frontage in 1960.

    The building is currently administered by the town of Jihlava. The Gustav Mahler House was opened to the public in September 2008, after the reconstruction of exhibition premises. The second phase in the reconstruction was carried out in 2009 when further rooms and exhibitions were opened. The building houses a permanent exhibition about Gustav Mahler, as well as original work of the artist and fashion designer Thea Wetner, Gustav Mahler’s relative. The house also regularly hosts short-term shows accompanying the permanent ones. Visitors can make use of a library and a research room where they can learn more about Mahler, his contemporaries and times.

    49°23'37.01"N; 15°35'28.7"E
    Alfons Mucha Exhibition

    Alfons Mucha Exhibition

    The Alfons Mucha Exhibition is housed in an early-renaissance corner building, the oldest in the Ivančice square. Alfons Mucha was born in 1860 in the rear section of the house. The building served as a town hall until 1850, and later as the seat of the District Court. It went through an extensive reconstruction in 1992–2002.

    The exhibition is entitled “Ivančice-Born Alfons Mucha 1860–1939” and points out the artist’s life-long relationship with his native town. Exhibits are divided into four rooms. The largest room contains Mucha’s paintings and prints, especially studies of nudes, large sketches for The Slav Epic and templates for the stained-glass window in St. Vitus Cathedral, Prague.Documents and photographs concerning Mucha’s life can be seen in a room dominated by a bronze bust of the artist, alongside Mucha’s personal belongings and copies of documents. The room with a display of Mucha’s correspondence best captures his close contact with his native town. It features the artist’s early work and paintings created in his youth such as portraits, the tower of the Ivančice church, the title page of the local parish register, and also the first Czechoslovak stamps that he designed. The last room devoted to photographs contains 63 photos taken by Mucha and used as templates for his work.

    The ground floor houses the Ivančice Culture and Information Centre, as well as an exhibition dedicated to another famous person born in the town, actor Vladimír Menšík.

    49°6'4.56"N; 16°22'36.05"E
    MAK — Austrian Museum for Applied Arts / Contemporary Art

    MAK — Austrian Museum for Applied Arts / Contemporary Art

    The MAK is one of the leading museums of its kind in the world. It was established in 1863 as the k.k. Österreichisches Museum für Kunst und Industrie, the gala opening took place on 12 May 1864. The museum moved to its present renaissance- style quarters on Stubenring designed by Heinrich von Ferstel in 1871, and in 1938 the institution changed its name to the Staatliches Kunstgewerbemuseum in Wien (State Museum of Applied Arts in Vienna). It has been known as the Museum für angewandte Kunst since 1947.

    The MAK links the past and the future, which is reflected in its large collections, themed shows and an extensive programme. It blends applied arts, design, architecture and contemporary art, particularly within short-term exhibitions. Permanent exhibitions provide an insight into numerous art disciplines, showcasing the history and multiple branches of applied arts, the variety of its forms and materials.

    The MAK is a place of learning, collecting, research, preservation and mediation, as well as meetings, interaction and creativity. Its activities exceeding the Austrian borders and involving collaboration with international designers, artists and architects are no less important.

    48°12'27.31"N; 16°22'53.57"E